There have been many, many discoveries and advances in roofing materials and techniques. Here are a few of our favorite "did you know"s for you to enjoy!
1. Some of the oldest roofing materials in the world are thatch, clay, and stone. Thatch was likely used between 5000 and 1800 B.C. Clay tiles can be traced all the way back to around 10,000 B.C.!
2. Metal roofing materials are often lighter in weight than wood shingles.
3. Green roofing materials are longer lasting than asphalt roofing tiles.
4. While the idea of natural building materials still holds strong sentimental appeal, some insurance companies charge more to cover a home with a wood-shake roof because of the potiential for fire, and others won't insure it at all.
5. Water tends to travels before it drips down visibly. Interesting, a leak can come out twenty feet away from the original leak in a roof.